As we have published Network Security based articles and researches in recent past such as Network Security Monitoring Tools, Network Security Monitoring along with Enterprise Security, here we bring another very important article in this series. When you are familiar with the network setup as well as the setup and monitoring tools, now you must know the Network Security Monitoring Best Practices and techniques to maintain the network secure and smooth. Here are some recommended Network Security Monitoring Best Practices for all network admins.
- OSI Model Understanding
- Network devises Understanding
- Network Defence Understanding
- Segregating the Network
- Network Address Translation
- Centralized Logging & Immediate Log Analysis
- Web Domain Whitelisting
- Honeypots & Honeynets
- Insider Threat Protection
- Baseline Network Protocol Monitoring
- VPN usage
- Proper using of Intrusion Detection System
- Automated Response to Attacks
- Physical Security of Network Equipment
There are too many Network Security Monitoring Best Practices, these are the main practices that are using over the globe. Moreover, these are recommended and must have techniques.
Short Explanation of these bullets is as follows:
OSI Model Understanding is a key factor of Network Security Monitoring Best Practices. It consists of 7 layers such as Physical, Data Link, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, and Application respectively.
Network devises Understanding is a must to build a strong network as well as defense. Devices are Hubs, Routers, Switches, Bridges, and Gateways, etc.
Network Defence Understanding has a vital role in Network Security Monitoring Best Practices. It includes the understanding of Firewalls, IDS, IPS, Access Controls, and filters.
Segregating of Network includes the network segregation into functional and logical units. These units are called Zones.
Network Address Translation is an important Network Security Monitoring Best Practices. It includes address deficiency of IPv4.
Centralized Logging & Immediate Log Analysis in Network Security Monitoring Best Practices means the record of suspicious log-in attempts and other network events.
Web Domain Whitelisting is the restriction that allows limited and selected users to log-in to network or website.
Honeypots & Honeynets in Network Security Monitoring Best Practices are the traps for intruders.
Insider Threat Protection is prevention and detection strategies.
Baseline Network Protocols are network protocol types between organizations and users.
Network Security Monitoring Best Practices Checklist
These are some top picks based on our research. The checklist consists of these most vital factors of Network Security Monitoring Best Practices.
- Software Maintainance is necessary.
- Visibility must be Top Priority.
- Always define and track user permissions.
- Always use a reliable and authentic network packet broker to send traffic.
- Must Stay Compliant.
- Security policy establishment in Network Security Monitoring Best Practices.
- Data Backup
- Keep an eye on Third-Party users.
- Motivate users toward information security.
- Prevention of unnecessary traffic is the simple and best network security plan and also Network Security Monitoring Best Practices.
Share with others as well. Also, leave your thoughts in the comment section regarding Network Security Monitoring Best Practices. Give suggestions for betterment as well, as the reader’s response & suggestions are valuable for us. Last but not least, Don’t forget to subscribe to the notification!